Friday, January 14, 2011

No one is perfect

Sometimes, the reminder on my left hand tells me I messed up, it tells me I failed, that I cant do anything right. imagine waking up with this weight, try to fall asleep at night bearing this thought... im not looking for pity, not looking for sorrow, I can't explain it, words do not do it justice...

So why write about it? There is a reason for pain, there is a reason for suffering. In some ways, it makes us stronger, it makes us bolder, it builds us up. In other ways, it tears us down, it's a constant nagging, a constant ringing in our ears, a constant reminder...

Life sometimes throws a monkey wrench, it sometimes throws us something unexpected, sometimes for the better, sometimes not. But it is the way we react to the situation that really shows our character, our virtues, who we really are...

What is holding you back? What is stopping you from living your life? Is it just an excuse to say no? Are you not thin enough? Not pretty enough? Not smart enough? We come up with all these lame excuses to say that we can't do it, that it won't work, that we'll just mess up, that we'll fail...

Don't let your situation define who you are, but the way you react to the situation will define who you are. I could of given up, I could of never touched the piano again, I could of never pick the bass up. I could of dropped out of school. I could of said that this is too hard, that there is no point, that God doesn't love me...

I am not perfect. I am not the "standard" of a good person. I have flaws, I have made mistakes, I have regrets, I have failures, I have struggles, I have problems. The list could go on forever telling me my wrongs and faults...

But God...

If I said I never doubted God, I would be lying. If I said I was never mad at God, that too would be a lie. But God sees the bigger picture, God sees a plan that is beyond our imagination. It is easy to praise God in the good times, to serve God when we're happy, when life is going for us. It is a whole lot harder to praise God when our world falls apart, when it just falls all around us. Yet, it is in those places that God can rebuild us stronger, rebuild us higher, rebuild us better. I don't have all the answers, yet I have the faith to make it through the next day...

For the journey today...

12 comments:

  1. Congratualtions on your first blog! Don't know if you realize that your response and positive attitude towards the challenges you face are an inspiration to others. Enjoy the journey and keep spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post Philip. Praying the Lord will use this space to reach many. You already have a lot to share. God bless.
    -Mrs. Divelbiss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written. An honest approach to the thoughts that have crossed all of our minds. You have a message to share...go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent, Philip! Really excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Phil. I know I've gotten down at times due to having diabetes but I don't let it stop me from ministry. "His Strength is made perfect in our weakness". Rebecca M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful words of encouragement and honesty Phil - thanks for sharing!
    Hugs
    Sista Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok using Jesse's computer and forgot to change the ID again - this is really Sista Kathy and not Jess... sorry Jess! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good message - looking forward to what the future holds in the "journey today"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Philip, my man!!.....thanks so much for your words of wisdom and encouragement. You couldn''t have said it any better when you said that "we can't let our situations define who we are"..Those are words many of us need to hear each and every day. Thanks for having the courage to be honest and open. Keep it up.....Will be looking for more words of encouragement from you...George A

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your reflections. You had some excellent insights. Pastor Edward Jones

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for being transparent and vulnerable. God is going to do great things through you! Pastor Lisa Pettitt

    ReplyDelete