Monday, May 16, 2011

The final week!!

Soooo many of you know that I will be going to Alaska this summer!!! And if you don't, well, now you do!!!! I am in the final week preparations before beginning on my adventure to the last frontier! So the purpose of this post is to just share information on what will be happening on sunday, and for the summer. 


My flight leaves Sunday morning from JFK, so I will not be at church on Sunday; hopefully you got a chance to say goodbye last sunday. So that flight takes me from JFK to Seattle. This flight is about 6 hours longgg, but I am going back in time zones too, so it really is only 3 hours on the clock, but it will really be 6 hours!!


Then I have a layover in Seattle for only a few hours, and then I get on a plane and head to Anchorage!!! This flight is about 4 hours long, but since I will be going back 1 more time zone, its only 3 hours on the clock.


So I'll land in Alaska, and have about an hour drive to the camp. The camp is in Wasilla, AK, and no, I probably won't meet Sarah Palin. And another thing too, I won't see any penguins, because there are no penguins in Alaska!!! Bears, moose, wolves, salmon, yes, I might (hopefully!!) see, but no penguins. Ok, now back to the topic at hand, camp!!!


So the camp I will be interning at for the summer is Little Beaver Camp (here is the link to their website: http://littlebeavercamp.com/). It looks like a really nice camp, with some newish renovations in the past few years. As for my tasks, they could be almost anything. I might get a life guarding certificate to be a life guard, I could be helping out in the kitchen, do grounds work, clean bathrooms, help at the paintball field or the zip line. So I have a feeling that what I will be doing will probably change from day to day, or at least week to week. 


Now I do believe that at some points I will have time off, in which my camera will never leave my side! I just got a new camera (thanks mom and dad, you're the best!!!!) and I will be taking tons and tons of pictures. I will have to see how I will post them on my blog, but they definitely will be posted on facebook. Speaking of facebook, I believe that I will have internet access, and maybe even cell phone service at camp, so I will be able to keep everyone up to date in what's going on haha. 


So now the final week in NY is upon us, before leaving to Alaska!!! I will be returning from Alaska around August 15th, but no flight has been booked yet. As for a mailing address, you can mail me things to this address:


Little Beaver Camp
Attn: Phil Schreck
1048 W Int'l Airport Rd Suite 101
Anchorage, AK 99518

Make sure that it has my name on it, so they know who to give it too!! As for things to mail if you would like, I have some suggestions. Money is always nice. But if you would like to send a care package, you could stuff any type of "bars" as in granola bars, breakfast bars, "Crunch" bars, etc. Another suggestion is Candy (but not too much! and maybe not chocolate, but skittles, starburst, gummies, etc.) Gum is also a good idea! (Sugar free would be best, like Orbit, Stride, or Five.) Beyond that, anything that fits!! Maybe a little soup, some mints, some trail mix, beef jerkey!! But as for things not to send, no perishable items, Alaska is far away from the lower 48, especially NY, and I have no idea how fast mail would get to me, so anything like fruit, or stuff that requires refrigeration would probably not be good. 

And this is it, the next time I will probably blog, I will probably be in Alaska!!

So please keep me in your prayers as God has blessed me with this oppurtunity, pray for safe traveling, and pray against injury this summer (gonna try to keep all my fingers this time!!) and pray that God just confirms my calling with this experience. 

Thanks for reading, and God Bless!!! 

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear how the Lord uses you and speaks to you! SOOOO proud of you! Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say hi to the penguins for us! lol jk You will have to plan a trip to FL to thaw out when you get back in August. We love you! John, Joy, and Spencer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you Phil! So excited to see what the Lord will do through you this summer. We are so proud and we send our love from Ohio! Love, Tim & Kelly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here I am, rounding out the extended family comment section! Another "Proud of you" comment from FL. We are committed to praying for you during these weeks, Phil. God has great plans for you and will make Himself known in new ways while you explore Alaska. ENJOY!! Ms. Sheri

    ReplyDelete